In Chile it is possible to find clothes with Permethrin, a chemical used to repel different types of insects harmful to humans. ExOfficio clothing and accessories incorporate this component in their fabrics, being an effective barrier to avoid insect bites that transmits the Zika virus.
Concern over the Zika virus has spread throughout the American continent, generating concern in travelers whose destination is Brazil, home to the upcoming Olympic Games that begin on August 5.
The dreaded mosquito Aedes Aegypti lives in stagnant water, preferably itchy at dawn and dusk, and experts recommend using repellents with a high concentration of DEET directly on the skin and apply Permethrin in clothing and backpacks, a synthetic substance that is used worldwide as a repellent of Insects.
The commented technology, present in Chile since 2013, has a clothing line called “Bugs away”, with Insect Shield technology, which includes Permetrina in its fabrics, a component that repels mosquitoes including those carrying the Dengue virus, which Transmits the Zika. This line consists of shirts, blouses, t-shirts, pants, socks and accessories for men and women. Its protective shield is odorless and has a duration of up to 70 washes, being ideal to use in complex destinations like Brazil.
Insect Shield technology also repels flies, mosquitoes, ticks, ants, among many other insects.
Recommendations for travelers to Brazil during the Olympic Games:
- Wear long sleeve shirts and long pants.
- Stay in places with air conditioning, windows and doors that use mosquito nets.
- Sleep under a mosquito net.
- Use clothes with Permethrin.
- Use repellent following the package instructions and apply at the frequency recommended by the manufacturer.
- Empty the accumulated water into containers or planters to help reduce the number of mosquitoes inside and outside the house or hotel room.
The ExOfficio clothing line is for sale in falabella.